ask for (someone's) hand in marriage
- to ask someone to marry you
dating his girlfriend for several years, the man finally asked for her hand in
attracted to (someone)
- to feel a physical or emotional attraction to someone, to be interested in someone in a romantic way
was attracted to the woman at the party from the moment that I first met her.
- a date where the two people have never met before
went on a blind date in university but it was not successful.
break (someone's) heart
- to cause someone emotional pain, to make someone feel very sad or disappointed
man broke the woman's heart when he told her that he did not love her.
break up with (someone)
- to end a relationship with someone
couple broke up after dating for more than three years.
crazy about (someone or something)
- to be very much in love with someone, to be very enthusiastic about something
girl is crazy about the boy in her university class.
The man is crazy about cars.
- to go on a date with someone, to have a date with someone
sister has been dating her boyfriend for two years.
- a date where two couples go on a date and do something together
was fun to go on the double date even though everybody wanted to do something
- to end a relationship by telling someone that you do not want to see him or her again
woman dumped her boyfriend after they had a big fight.
fall for (someone)
- to begin to feel love for someone
woman always falls for the wrong person and she is never happy.
fall in love (with someone)
- to begin to experience feelings of love for someone
man fell in love with a woman from his university class and they later got
find Mr. Right
- to find the right person or the perfect person to marry
woman is hoping to find Mr. Right.
find the right girl/guy
- to find the right partner, to find the person you want to marry
woman would like to find the right guy.
- the first person that one falls in love with
girl's first love was with a boy in her high school.
get along with (someone)
- to have a good relationship with someone
woman gets along with everybody very well.
get back together
- to return to a relationship or marriage after separating
man got back together with his girlfriend after separating for several months.
- to make a plan to marry someone, to decide to marry someone
young man recently got engaged to his girlfriend.
- to get married
girl and her boyfriend surprised everyone when they suddenly got hitched last
get serious (with someone)
- to become more serious in a romantic relationship with someone
two students dated for several months before they began to get serious.
give (someone or something) a second chance
- to try to save a relationship by forgiving and welcoming the other person back (usually after a fight or a breakup)
girl's boyfriend left her for several months but when he came back she was
happy to give him a second chance.
- to go on a date where each person pays half of the expenses
university students have little money so they often go Dutch when they go on a
go out with (someone)
- to go on a date with someone, to be dating someone
The man would like to go out with his classmate.
I have been going out with a woman from my hiking club for one year.
go steady with (someone)
- to date one person regularly (not so common recently but at one time this expression was used often by teenagers)
two students have been going steady for three years.
- to be able to get along well with each other
couple are good together and nobody has ever seen them argue.
have a crush on (someone)
- to have strong feelings of love for someone (often for a short time and with no results)
girl has a crush on a boy in her class.
have a thing for (someone)
- to be attracted to someone, to be interested in someone
girl has a thing for the new boy in her class.
have a thing going with (someone)
- to have a romantic relationship with someone
think that the secretary has a thing going with one of the salesmen.
head over heels in love with (someone)
- to be very much in love with someone, to be completely in love with someone
man is head over heels in love with someone in his company.
hit it off (with someone)
- to get along well with someone (from the first time that you meet that person - this can be used in a romantic way but it can also be used for any two people who meet and have a good relationship)
hit it off with a woman in my photography class and we have been dating for
several months now.
The two salespeople hit it off and have a very good working relationship now.
hung up on (someone)
- to be obsessed with another person, to be interested in another person
young woman is hung up on a member of her tennis club.
interested in (someone)
- to have a romantic interest in someone and possibly want to date that person
sister is interested in someone from her university biology class.
kiss and make up
- to become friends again after a fight or argument
they had a fight, the couple was quick to kiss and make up.
leave (someone) at the altar
- to decide not to marry someone at the last minute
man was very nervous and decided to leave his girlfriend at the altar.
leave (someone) for (someone else)
- to end a relationship with your partner and start a relationship with someone else
man left his wife for his secretary but soon discovered that his life was worse
love at first sight
- to fall in love with someone or something the first time that you see him or her or it
I saw the woman at the party, it was love at first sight and I knew that I
wanted to meet her.
The woman loved the house. It was love at first sight.
made for each other
- to get along extremely well with another person
man and woman have a good relationship and are made for each other.
make eyes at (someone)
- to flirt with someone, to look at someone to try and attract him or her
boy was making eyes at the girl in his history class.
- to resolve a quarrel, to forgive someone after an argument
couple had a big fight at the restaurant but they made up and things quickly
got back to normal.
The boy and girl separated but they later made up and began seeing each other again.
a match made in heaven
- a couple who get along perfectly
the two people finally met each other, it was a match made in heaven.
meet the right girl or guy
- to meet the right partner, to meet the person that you want to marry
woman always said that she would like to meet the right guy.
on the rocks
- to be in a state of difficulty, to be having problems (usually used for a relationship)
couple are experiencing many problems at the moment and their relationship
appears to be on the rocks.
one's one and only
- the only person that one loves
man's wife was his one and only since they first met in high school.
the one for (someone)
- the right partner, the right person to marry
I introduced my girlfriend to my mother she said that she was the one for me.
patch up a relationship
- to repair a broken relationship
couple wanted to separate but they were able to patch up their relationship and
now they are very happy together.
- two people who appear to get along perfectly
neighors seem to be the perfect couple.
pop the question
- to ask someone to marry you
man thought about things carefully before he decided to pop the question to his
- strong feelings of love (infatuation) between school-age children or teenagers
two teenagers thought that their love was the greatest in the world. Other
people thought that it was only puppy love.
say I do
- to get married (during a wedding ceremony it is common to say "I do" when you agree to marry your partner)
man was very happy to say "I do," at the wedding ceremony.
- to be dating someone on a regular basis
woman was not seeing anyone when she met the man at the party.
set a date
- to decide on a date for a wedding
thinking about marriage for a long time, the couple decided to set a date.
- to begin to live a quiet and stable life (often used after getting married or getting a job)
friend settled down and started a family after he finished university.
- to end a relationship
girl and her boyfriend decided to split up after being together for seven
steal (someone's) heart
- to cause someone to fall in love with you
woman stole the heart of the man who she was working with.
take one's vows
- to get married and take your wedding vows or make your wedding promises
couple took their vows at the courthouse in the small town.
those three little words
- the three words "I love you"
several months of dating, the man said those three little words to his
tie the knot
- to get married
After dating for several years, the young couple decided to tie the knot.
- a genuine feeling of romantic love
was true love for the young couple when they met at their company.
- love that is not returned, one-way love
woman was in love with the president of her company but it was unrequited love.
He did not love her.
walk down the aisle together
- to get married (in this case in a church where the bride walks down the aisle to the altar)
couple have decided to walk down the aisle together and begin their new life.
walk out on (someone)
- to abandon your partner and end a relationship
man walked out on his wife.
whisper sweet nothings in (someone's) ear
- to say romantic or intimate things to someone
[ چهارشنبه 2 مهرماه سال 1393 ] [ 12:37 ] [ آرش ]